The documents below detail the NASDE scoring system
NASDE Referee System (effective January 1, 2017)
Judging Criteria Classic & Showcase Divisions
- There must be a minimum of seven (7) Judges for both Classic and Showcase divisions; however, if three (3) or fewer couples compete, an event can use a minimum of five (5) judges.
- No more than three (3) of the seven Judges should be NASDE Event Directors.
- No more than three (3) of the seven Judges should be from the same Region (micro-region), Club or Studio.
- Events are discouraged from assigning Couples (significant others) to serve on the same Judging panel for Classic and Showcase, with the exception that one of the partners is a Chief Judge and one is a Referee Judge.
- A Referee Judge will be included on the Judging panel for Classic and Showcase competitions. The NASDE Referee System will be utilized.
- Mock Judges should not be on the floor with official Judges, so that there is no confusion about who is actually judging.
- All scores count. No scores can be thrown out.
- Each event will attempt to have at least half of the Judges on the Judging panel be those who have competed on the NASDE Tour in the past.
- No current NASDE competitors (who compete in Classic or Showcase) may serve as Judges for these Divisions. (i.e., If a competitor has an active Showcase or Classic partnership and is actively pursuing the yearend prize, they are a current NASDE competitor.)
Swing Violation Criteria — Classic Division
Swing Content is the responsibility of each judge, NOT the REFEREE Judge. Any violations or warning regarding Swing Content is reflected in the individual judge’s score or so noted on their individual score sheets. A "SVW" (Swing Violation Warning) indicates no drop in score and"SV" (Swing Violation) indicates the judge dropped their placement 1, 2 or 3 places for Swing Content within their individual score. Judges are to use the following criteria when giving a “SV” (Swing Violation):
SV-1 Approx. 60% Swing Content -- Drops 1 placement
SV-2 Approx. 50% Swing Content -- Drops 2 placements
SV-3 Less than 50% Swing Content — Drops Out of the Money
Final score sheets that get posted should show the above values.
Competitor A 3rd placement SV-1